Remember Gothic Spire? It’s okay if you don’t, because I hadn’t actually touched it for months. But I finally finished it a couple of weeks ago:
Pattern: Gothic Spire by Cookie A
Yarn: Koigu Premium Merino in color 2169
Needles: US0 / 2.00mm Inox Express circulars
Difficult sock to photograph because the yarn’s such a dark purple – the pattern kept getting lost, especially in my detail shots. The pattern’s clearer in person, I swear!
So why the heck did this take so long, anyway? Well, I was actually making pretty good progress to start and I finished the gusset on my first sock… back in early May. But then – and only then – did I realize that something was off. The start of the round wasn’t moved to the left, so it’s not offset from the previous pattern repeat.
Funny thing is, this is actually called for in the pattern. Or at least in the version I have. (I bought it back in… 2007, I think?) It calls for working the chart three times while moving the beginning of the round, and one last chart repeat without rotating. So when I cut one leg repeat out, I thought I was being smart by not moving the last start point. But then I poked around on Ravelry and found that pretty much all the projects have the start point for all leg repeats rotated. So I’m guessing that the pattern’s been updated since I bought this (although I can’t actually say for sure, since I haven’t looked at the version in, say, Knit. Sock. Love.).
So, I frogged back to the end of the second leg repeat, moved the starting point for the third leg repeat, and then continued from there.
But then I stalled out after I started the second sock. I wasn’t really feeling all the twisted and wrapped stitches to begin with, and I got super discouraged after having to reknit so much of the first sock, and I wasn’t knitting at all for a month or two. So, yeah. Love the finished product, hated the process of making it. Oh well, can’t win them all, I guess.