I recently went stashdiving and picked out two of the oldest skeins for this quick project:
Pattern: Opus Spicatum by Kate Gagnon Osborn
Yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Wool in Light Grey Heather and Charcoal Heather
Needles: US4 / 3.5mm and US7 / 4.5 Plymouth bamboo DPNs, US7 / 4.5mm Clover bamboo circulars
The original’s a beret, but clearly my version’s more of a beanie, which is exactly what I wanted! I don’t get much use out of berets. (I actually recently reblocked my Beret Gaufre into a beanie shape, which is more my style!)
My gauge was different from that of the pattern. The pattern’s is 19 sts and 23 rows to 4“; mine is 26 stitches and 24 rows to 4”. I cast on 100 stitches for the ribbing, which in retrospect was too many. I then increased to 120 stitches for the colorwork, giving me 12 pattern repeats per round instead of 11. I knit an extra row of ribbing and four extra rows of colorwork before starting the increases, the latter of which may have been unnecessary.
I made a bit of an error – the contrast color should be a purl ridge at the edge of the brim, not a knit one. But when I finally realized it, I decided it didn’t bother me enough to rip back.
It was a super fun knit for me, and the pattern was pretty easy to follow. Quick, too – only took me two days!