Tag Archives: Clapotis

A scarf that didn’t drag

Okay, so I lied about taking a bunch of pictures last weekend. But not on purpose! I really did mean to, but, well, life got in the way. I did finally take some pictures, though.

As I mentioned in my last post, for most of January I had this crazy time-consuming project that severely limited the knitting I could do. Not the amount of it, but the complexity of it. And at the beginning on that month, all of my WIPs would have distracted me from the real task at hand. So, I started a couple of simpler projects. And one of them is:

(The detail shot is truer to color.)

Clapotis by Kate Gilbert

Two skeins of Curious Creek Fibers’ Serengeti, in the “Sunset On Daffodils” colorway

Two US 4 / 3.5mm Plymouth bamboo DPNs

I did only two full repeats of the increase/decrease sections to get a narrower scarf.

I know, I know, it’s shocking that I actually finished this. I generally find scarves excruciatingly boring, and under normal circumstances, this would have been no exception. However, Clapotis is actually great to work on if you just want to keep your hands busy and your real focus elsewhere. It went pretty quickly and I finished it in mid-January.

I bought the yarn at my hometown LYS’s liquidation sale, because it was pretty and it felt lovely in the skein, and it was definitely worth what I paid for it. I loved working with it, I’ll definitely have to do so again at some point!

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the colors though. In the hank it was mostly pretty oranges with bits of red and rose. However, as you can see, it knits up with lots of yellows. (No, I didn’t consider this possibility when I saw the word “daffodils” in the colorway name. Not one of my brighter moments.) Not so good because I’d always intended to make a scarf with it, and with my skin’s undertones, daffodil yellow is not the best color to wear next to my face. Oh well.

On the plus side, the yarn didn’t bleed at all. Sure, it looks like there are less oranges and reds in one half of the scarf, but one of the skeins had a lot more yellow in it to begin with. The water didn’t change color at all during the soak.

I just went for a light blocking on this project. I got the project wet, then laid it out flat without any pins. So there’s still a tiny bit of curl, which I don’t actually mind, but at least the stitches have been evened out.

Posted in Knitting | Tagged | 3 Comments