The second mitten went even faster than I’d expected. I finished the knitting on Friday evening and laid it out for a light blocking yesterday. It figures I would finish a pair of mittens when it’s too warm to wear them…
Dale Baby Ull in colors 2203 and 5135, less than one ball each
US0 / 2.00mm Knitpicks DPNs for the cuff of the right mitten
US0 / 2.00mm Inox grey DPNs for the cuff of the left mitten
US2 / 2.75mm Brittany Birch DPNs for a couple of rows in the right mitten
US2 / 2.50mm Inox grey DPNs for the rest of the right mitten and the entire hand of the left mitten
(The boatload of needles is because I started the first mitten while hanging out at Jess‘s. I’d gone to Common Threads during my lunch break that day and so I had yarn with me, but I had to borrow needles from her. No, I don’t always keep an active knitting project with me. Sacrilege, I know.)
Overall, this was a really fun project to knit, and I highly recommend it! The pattern itself is nice and clear and easy to follow. Okay, so the charts are a bit smaller than I personally prefer, but they’re still perfectly readable.
I like how the semi-corrugated rib looks. It’s a bit tighter than I’d like on the left mitten, but I suspect that’s mostly due to the needles I used – the Inox needles are a little more grippy than the Knitpicks ones, and I neglected to swatch for the cuff with the Inoxes. Oops. At least it still fits!
It was kind of interesting having longer stretches of the contrast color. Dale Baby Ull won’t really felt to itself after wear, and knowing me, I will somehow get a finger caught in a six-stitch-long float. So I had to weave in the background color here and there. I’d never done that before, and since I hold both strands in the left hand, good photo tutorials are harder to find. But I found the (text-only) explanation over at Let Me Explaiknit to be pretty helpful.
I loved how the pattern was asymmetrical and non-repeating. It’s not the most intuitive one out there, but that actually worked well for me. It was interesting enough to keep my attention, but not difficult enough to really frustrate me. And I was always looking forward to seeing how the pattern unfolded with every row. That level of excitement that doesn’t really happen when you’re knitting the same eight rows over and over, not for me, anyway.
These fit me well enough pre-blocking, so I decided I didn’t want to block these very aggressively. I did a wet block without pins or anything, just to even out the colorwork. I’m probably going to have to go back and redo it and pin out just the cuffs, because some of the stitches there are still a bit wonky.
I probably won’t get a ton of use out of these, but I know I’ll love wearing them when I get the chance.